TAKASAGO SHRINE

TAKASAGO SHRINE

photo TAKASAGO SHRINE

According to the shrine's story, when the Empress Jingu returned in triumph from Korea, her ship stopped at Takasago port. She built large shrine to maintain control of the country. It was dedicated to "Onamuchi-no-Mikoto", one of the ancient gods, at the shrine's foundation. At that time the Aioi Pines sprouted. In 972 this shrine was also dedicated to "Susano-no-Mikoto" and "Kushinadahime-no-Mikoto", who were ancient gods as well as married couple. After that these three deities became the main Gods of Takasago Shrine. In 1600, Ikeda Terumasa, the first Load of Himeji, built a subsidiary castle in the confines of Takasago Shrine to suppress other feudal loads. So this shrine was moved to a place 500 meters northwest.

Once Toyotomi's political power had been broken, peaceful times got under way. The Takasago port was prospered as a distribution and trading center of goods. One of the lords of Himeji, Honda Tadamasa in accordance with the decision that there should only be one castle in the area, Himeji castle, destroyed Takasago castle, and moved Takasago Shrine to its present location.

Within its confine, Aioi pines and a Noh stage are preserved. Sometimes Kangetu Noh is held here. It is performed in the evening, on an open- air-stage, and is illuminated by blazing torches. When the sacred ceremony "Omen-Kake" is held, this shrine crowded with many tourists. It is also particularly crowded on October 10th and 11th, during Autumn Festival. Many decorated floats are sent out and the portable shrine is carried out to the sea. This event, during the Takasago Shrine Festival, is called "Funatogyo".

photo TAKASAGO SHRINE

photo TAKASAGO SHRINE

photo TAKASAGO SHRINE     photo TAKASAGO SHRINE