According to the temple's story, in 804, Kobo Daishi, a Buddhist master, was at sea not far from Takasago, on the way to China. There he encountered the Jizo saint on top of a sea dragon, and worshipped this saint there. In 815, after his return from China, under the command of the Emperor Saga, Kobo Daishi deified the Jizo Buddhist saint in order to maintain control of the land under his command.
Within the confines of Jurin temple, he built seven halls of worship for the Shingon Sect of Buddhism; these halls became the center of worship for this sect. After that, in 1207, the founder of the Jodo Sect, Honen Shonin, was banished to Shikoku. On his way there he visited Takasago, preached to fishermen, reconstructed the temple, and converted its focus to the Jodo Sect.
In this temple there are two Buddhist paintings. One is a national cultural asset, called "Kenpon-chakushoku-gobutsusonzo"; it is painted on silk. The other is a Hyogo prefectural cultural asset, called "Amida raigozu"; it portrays Amida Buddha welcoming the souls to paradise.
The main temple is the largest wooden building in Takasago. On each side of the front gate of main building of this temple, stands a pair of powerful gods, named Nio; these statues silently guard the temple. The atmosphere takes us back to ancient times.